1. U2's The Edge and his possible partners go before the California Coastal Commission today regarding . The 12-member state panel, meeting at the Marina del Rey Hotel (13534 Bali Way in Marina del Rey), will have the opportunity to vote on the applications for five large homes off Sweetwater Mesa Road above Serra Canyon. The Edge owns at least one of the lots (whether he owns all of them is a matter of dispute between the project representatives and Coastal staff).
The meeting begins at 8 a.m., but there are several items on the agenda, . So if you arrive on time, you could be doing lots of waiting. But if you arrive too late, you might miss the hearing. My recommendation is don't come at all (do you really want to drive that far anyhow?), and keep your eyes glued all day on Malibu Patch, where Ben Marcus will be doing .
2. A petition titled The Time Is Now: Preserve the Community Soul of Malibu was put online recently. The petition states its immediate goals regarding local shopping centers are that:
- Every commercial development is consistent with the Malibu General Plan and zoning codes
- The city close existing loopholes in zoning codes
- Our city puts into policy and enforces a balanced, intelligent plan that ensures a diversity of community-serving businesses and that upholds the character of Malibu's rural environment
- Planning is implemented that protects and encourages small retail businesses that citizens consider vital to this city
- A plan to manage and limit future chain establishments is achieved. Existing chains will not be affected (excluded are: banks, real estate offices, gas stations, etc.)
- Malibu Patch does not take a stance on local issues; our purpose is to provide you with information about what is happening in the community. Go here to look at the petition, and decide for yourself if it is something you want to e-sign.
3. kindergartners and first-graders will perform Disco Fever at 8:30 a.m. for the second day of the annual Spring Vocal Music Concert.
4. The Board of Education meets tonight at the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District office in Santa Monica. Among the items that will be discussed is an update on the 2011-12 budget, which likely has many changes following the state legislators' approval of a state budget on Wednesday (it needs Gov. Brown's signature to be finalized). The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. (remember these sessions never start on time) at 1651 16th St. in Santa Monica.
5. The National Weather Service's daytime forecast calls for patchy fog and a chance of drizzle before 11 a.m. For the remainder of the day, it is expected to be partly sunny with a high near 72 and a wind traveling east/southeast—becoming south/southwest—at around 5 mph. At night, it is expected to be cloudy with a low near 54 and a west/southwest wind traveling 5 mph. Patchy fog and a chance of drizzle after 11 p.m. are also in the forecast.