Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I guess it’s because I was away from home for my high school and college years, and Thanksgiving was often the first time in months I consumed anything resembling edible food. The combination of family, football, and stuffing (not necessarily in that exact order) made for a perfect holiday.
As the years have moved on and on and on, Thanksgiving means more to me than ever. We often go around the table and ask each participant what they are thankful for. I have a long list:
1) I am thankful to live in Malibu where the sun shines down upon me almost every day until the tsunami ultimately comes and takes me out to sea.
2) I am especially thankful there will be no presidential contest for another four years.
3) I am thankful the New York Knicks have finally figured out how to play defense.
4) I am thankful I have no appointment to see the dentist.
5) I am thankful to have served as judge of the Malibu United Methodist Pie Festival. Never before have I received such a high honor.
6) I am thankful I have not yet been bitten by a rattlesnake. I wish I could say the same about scorpions.
7) I am thankful nobody has asked me to go surfing. I’m probably stupid enough to try.
8) I am thankful my scale isn’t working because I can’t possibly weigh that much.
9) I am thankful I haven’t started to use the word “awesome” in every other sentence.
10) And, of course, I am most thankful to you who choose to read this column.
I realize all people are not always in a good place, but hope you also have much to be thankful for this holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving.